Friday, May 29, 2009

Steven Wright in the Boston Globe, bonus interview questions

I am back in the Boston Globe today interviewing Steven Wright about his show tonight at the Wilbur Theatre Comedy Connection, the benefit he's playing June 14 at the Ahavath Torah Congregation, the synagogue of his friend and longtime opening act, Bob Lazarus, who died in January. You can read the interview here.

Here are a few bonus questions, most of which didn't make it into the final Q&A in the Globe.

Can we look forward to I Still Still Have a Pony in 23 years?

Did you put two “stills” in there? That’s good. I wasn’t sure what I would name the next one but now I think you’ve nailed it. Maybe I Had a Pony.

And make people wonder, what happened to the pony?

All these titles about the pony, and then the pony’s never mentioned.

“We don’t like to talk about what happened to the pony?” That’s probably too long for an album title.

That’s funny. “We don’t like talking about what happened to the pony,” that’s the title? That’s good.

Are you thinking of doing another album or special soon?

No, not soon. Just touring, building up material on the road and stuff.

Where do you try out new material these days? Is there anywhere you go to work out?

When I’m the road I can just try it during my show. I went to the Laugh Factory last week, that’s a club in Los Angeles, trying to figure out the Letterman material [his appearance airs June 5]. Sometimes I’ll go into a small club and sometimes I’ll do it during the show.

I know you would sometimes drop by the Comedy Studio or the old Connection here.

Yeah, yeah. I haven’t done that in a while. It’s too bad the Connection moved. That was a good room.

Do you get down to the clubs at all, even just to watch?

Occasionally, I might go to Giggles, because usually some of my friends are playing there. I’ve done some short sets in there, too. I like that place.

3 comments:

get in here said...

Fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Yes it's really fantastic!
Todd DiRobert
http://www.emediawire.com/releases/americansatellite/todddiroberto/emw2401714.htm

Anonymous said...

Yes it's really fantastic!
Todd DiRoberto
http://www.emediawire.com/releases/americansatellite/todddiroberto/emw2401714.htm